Friday, January 12, 2018

Update: Dad Leonard's Sweet Dill Pickles

My friend Mark loves these pickles and every time he does me a favor (or just cuz I'm feeling nice) I make him a little jar full. The other day he gave us a ride to the Rose Parade and wouldn't take gas money or let us buy his breakfast, but he eagerly accepted a big jar of pickles (actually his text was "ride for pickles",  I took that as he eagerly accepted my offer hahaha).

 I played around with cutting them super thin this time and took him a little sample to see which ones he prefers (the original recipe is large chunks), since they taste the same and it's just a textural difference he said he didn't care. So I mixed them together and am loving this new version. The thin ones are a little crunchier and the large ones take longer to chew (which is a good thing - savor them!) so you get a nice balance this way. Try it. I'm telling ya - if you like pickles you really really need to make this easy recipe. Cut some thick and some thin and see which you prefer. My mouth is watering now...

Boil 2 cups sugar, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup white vinegar for a couple minutes. Meanwhile rinse and drain a big jar of whole dill pickles (rinse the jar and the pickles). Cut them into thick or thin slices (or both) and put back into the clean jar. Pour the hot sugar/vinegar mixture over the pickles, seal tightly, turn upside down and refrigerate (once they've cooled off). After 24 hours turn them right-side up and enjoy!

click here for the original post.

No comments:

Post a Comment