Sunday, January 14, 2018

West Coast Chili

I'm sure everyone has their own recipe for chili - here's one that's maybe a little different than your normal ...I've been making chili this way for years. It's not too spicy (although this time it had a little "kick" thanks to not measuring the red pepper flakes) but you can adjust the seasonings if you want it hotter. The original recipe calls for green pepper, onion and garlic which I don't do; and the "West Coast" part is using diced turkey (but I put whatever meat I want in - this time I chopped up leftover grilled chicken breasts, sometimes I put in leftover pork loin) and wine. I've always used pinto beans that have chili seasoning added - I despise red kidney beans - and add a small can of diced tomatoes that have seasoning added (fire-roasted ones are good).

A little tip: if the chili is too acidic (sometimes the tomatoes just don't taste right) I'll add a spoonful of brown sugar to mellow it out. Taste it first and see if it's good before adding sugar tho! I only do this every once in a while...

Of course over the years I've changed the original recipe and made it my own - here is my version and you can just google "west coast chili" to find the original recipe with peppers, onions, and yucky kidney beans.

  • 28 oz. canned diced tomatoes
  • 14.5 oz. canned fire-roasted (or some flavor that goes with chili) diced tomatoes
  • 2 (14.5 oz.) cans chili-flavored pinto beans, undrained
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 3 cups chopped turkey meat (or cooked chicken, leftover pork roast, etc)
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Add all ingredients to a big pot, bring to a boil and the reduce heat to a simmer. Stir occasionally and cook on low for about half hour. Like most chili, this tastes even better the next day - or I'll make it in the morning and put it in the fridge until dinner to let the flavors develop.

Serve with shredded cheese and sour cream (and sometimes diced onion if I have it). Sorry I don't have a picture - it looks like chili!



No comments:

Post a Comment