Friday, January 19, 2018

Carved Watermelon Football Helmet...by Jenny

Hi All, 
Non cooking non crafty sister again.  In my continuing quest to have my sister do all my baking (as well as all family birthday shopping/wrapping/mailing)  I feel its time to pay my dues again. 
Its almost super bowl time so I have been saving this one for an entire year.  Every now and then I have to prove my sister didn’t get all the crafting talent and I choose to refrain by choice (gotta let her have her thing).  This is about as crafty as I get. 

1.  
            Using a round watermelon, slice off a piece approximately 4 inches down on the stem end. Set cut piece aside to use later for mouth guard.


2.       Make a curved cut from one side of the melon to the other to cut out the face portion of the helmet. Hollow out the entire melon.





















3.       





       Take the piece that was set aside in step #1 and place cut side down. Place knife at the center of stem end and cut in half.



4.       Take one half of cut piece and draw mouth guard grid with a sharp pencil or thin marker as shown in picture. (unless you are crafty and wanna just wing it). Remove flesh and using a small knife, cut out grid design.

5.       To assemble, place mouth piece on a plate. Place the helmet piece on top, pushing the mouthpiece ends towards the inside of the helmet. You may need to carve a little out of the helmet ends to fit the mouth grid comfortably. Mine kept falling so I used toothpicks hidden inside to hold it on.

6.       Fill with fruit salad.


That’s it for now.  Since my Lions aren’t in the Super Bowl (shocker), I don’t really care who wins.  So just eat the fruit and 
watch those commercials. 

No comments:

Post a Comment