Monday, January 15, 2018

Bird Cage Slipcover



Lucy has a small cage for traveling that has an elaborate cover with snaps and zippers, it isn't easy to take on and off so when we are in the RV I usually just open up one side and she stands on top of the cover...which sounds good in theory but she's a bird. A messy bird that takes her food out of the cage and eats it on top of the elaborate cover and then wipes her beak on the cover. And then of course poops on it. The cover that can't be washed. 

Note: who designs a bird cage cover that can't be washed? Someone who doesn't own a bird, that's who. 

Anyway - after trying to remove the ground in blackberry from the cover I decided to make her an easier cover that slips over the top, and can be washed. I totally jerry-rigged this but it turned out good...and useful.


I had this no-sew fleece with a cute bird pattern on it from when Brooke and I were going to make tie-blankets (click here for that post), she made her blanket but I just put my fleece in the stash and forgot about it. Seems perfect for making a bird cage cover.


I measured the cage dimensions and cut out 4 rectangles of the patterned fleece for the sides (adding 2 1/2" to each side to make the ties) and one in dark gray for the top.


Leaving a 2 1/2" edge all around, sew each side panel to the top, just along the top edge leaving the sides open.


Then make one inch slits along the side panels
(1" wide x 2 1/2" deep) and tie the sides together. Do this on all 4 corners.


Before and after cutting the door opening:




After cutting the opening (that just flips up on top of the cage) I realized it was going to let too much light in which means as soon as she can see out in the morning she's gonna start hollering to get out. I cut another piece of the gray fleece and sewed it overtop of the door opening to make it darker. Her own little black-out shade.

I showed the cover to Dave and he pointed out that she didn't have any "windows", so when we are traveling down the road she'd only be able to look forward. Oops. So I cut a square out of the side and attached another side panel overtop so it can be closed at night.



maybe I shouldn't have bothered with a new cover -
she seems happy to be in a cooler instead of her cage! 


















No comments:

Post a Comment