Friday, July 29, 2016

Brooke Makes a Tie Blanket

Brooke wanted to make a tie blanket so I offered to take her to the fabric store to get the material - I warned her that it was going to be difficult to pick 2 patterns out of the hundreds the store carries and I gave us plenty of time knowing how long this was going to take...after her initial shock (seriously, have you seen how many different fleece patterns there are now?) and excitement she actually picked out 2 coordinating ones fairly quickly - and she picked pretty classy and simple ones, I figured she'd go for the crazy tie-dye or wild patterns!



At the cutting counter the lady helped her figure how big she wanted her blanket and she decided that 2 yards of each fabric would be big enough to cover her up and she'll be able to fold it on the end of her bed when she isn't using it.


At home I put the 2 fabrics together and trimmed off the salvage edges and squared them up to be exactly the same size. Then she did the rest. Using a 6" square of cardboard as a guide she cut out a 6" square of fabric from each of the 4 corners, that notch lets you be able to tie the edges of the corners together. She didn't have time to keep working on it at my house so I described how she needed to cut 6" fringe about 1" wide all the way around (cut thru both layers at the same time, that way the fringe is the same size and in the same place when you tie it), then tie the whole thing together.


She left my house with only the four corners cut out, I told her this is sort of a time consuming project and to just work on it a little at a time (it isn't hard, just takes time) - well 3 hours later I got a text that she had finished it and she sent pictures. And she says no one helped her - I've never finished one that fast! So I was wrong about how long it would take her to choose patterns and wrong about her being able to finish it so quickly - good for her!


                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment