Friday, July 1, 2016

Patriotic Donut Pops

I haven't tried to make cake pops - I know I know, I'm very behind in the cake pop game...doesn't it seem like they are everywhere? Well I saw this shortcut (click here for source) of dipping donut holes in candy coating with red white and blue sprinkles and said to myself "now there's a genius idea" and wanted to make them.


Side note: having donut holes in the house is a very dangerous thing for me because I have a hard rule that I can only eat donuts on my birthday. I established this rule for myself years ago when I was working in an office and I swear every day someone would bring in donuts and I'd eat one. Every day. So making this rule is the only way I don't go crazy and eat donuts to my hearts content -  I've stuck to this rule for years only breaking it if I'm with someone on their birthday and their treat is donuts. That would be just rude of me to say no ;) Now back to making the donut pops!

The hardest thing about making these was trying to find plain donut holes! I gave up and bought the ones rolled in powdered sugar and it worked just fine, might make them a little bit sweeter but it's already a donut rolled in candy coating so what's a little more sugar?

As sometimes happens, I didn't read thru the entire directions before starting and this is what happened:


So I read how I was supposed to do it and then - surprise - they worked perfectly and were quite easy to do. The key is to dip the stick in a little melted candy coating and poke it into a donut hole and put them in the freezer for 30 minutes. After that they dipped very easily, didn't break apart or fall off the stick into the coating so I had to fish it out and then have Dave eat the broken ones so I wouldn't...





Directions are simple (especially if you actually read thru them before starting!):
  1. In a small microwave-safe dish heat 1 ounce of the candy coating, about 1/4 cup, on medium for 60 seconds until melted and smooth, stirring once. Dip one end of each lollipop stick into melted candy coating and poke sticks into doughnut holes. This helps the doughnut holes to stay on the sticks. Freeze for 30 minutes. 
  2. Place remaining candy coating in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until melted and smooth, stirring frequently. Dip doughnut holes, one at a time, into melted candy coating. Allow excess to drip off; sprinkle with assorted sprinkles. Let coating set before serving. Store in covered container.


I couldn't find anything to stand the pops in while they were drying (hmmm, I'm wondering if I missed that part in the directions?) so I fashioned my own stand using the holes in my colander, worked like a charm.

My sister is going to a party and needs a dish to pass so I'm sending these with her. She's gonna have to come up with her own way to stand them up or display them tho...I think I'd put them in a glass, vase, or bowl wide and deep enough to stand them up. 




No comments:

Post a Comment