Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Bleu Cheese Dressing

I'm not sure where I got this recipe - it's typed out on a piece of paper and says "Outback Steakhouse Bleu Cheese Dressing" on the top - I wasn't a bleu cheese lover but someone in my family requested that I make this for their birthday (for a wedge salad) and I'm so glad I did. It's really really good and I have to say that after making it that first time I became slightly obsessed and started putting it on everything - now I make it all the time and have found that I'm starting to like bleu cheese more because of it.

not my photo but I googled until I found one that looks
like my wedge salad! found it here


This is more like homemade ranch dressing with bleu cheese crumbles added - so if you don't love bleu cheese but do like ranch give this a try and see if you don't like bleu cheese just a little bit more now!
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons buttermilk (plus more to make it thinner, see note)
  • 1 tablespoon crumbled bleu cheese
  • 1/8 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Mix all ingredients together by hand in a small bowl until smooth. Cover and chill for 30 minutes before serving. Makes 1 cup.

Notes: I always double this and use way more buttermilk to make it runnier. Only using 2 tablespoons leaves it very thick which is great for a dip. Just keep adding buttermilk until you get the consistency you want. If you don't have buttermilk put a little bit of white vinegar in milk and let it stand for a few minutes before adding to the recipe.

Wedge salad is simple: literally a wedge of iceberg topped with halved cherry tomatoes, crumbled bacon bits, red onion if you like. I drizzle with balsamic vinegar (if you put some balsamic in a small saucepan and heat it until it reduces and gets thick and syrupy it's even better!) before adding the dressing over top of it all. Add more bleu cheese crumbles if you want. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment