Sunday, July 31, 2016

Al's Baked Beans

Every time Al makes these beans I remember how much I love them and ask for the recipe! They are SO good. He actually gave me the recipe a while ago but I completely forgot about it until looking thru my folder of recipes the other day looking for something to take to my sisters for a cookout. I have a recipe book that all of my tried/true/standby/loved recipes are in, and I also keep a manilla folder full of ripped out magazine recipes, etc. for ideas I'd like to try (if it makes the cut and I know we'll want it again then I move it into my recipe book) - not sure why Al's recipe isn't in the book because I know it's a keeper and will now make them often!

I asked him the other day if it's ok with him for me to share the recipe - he said "it isn't a secret family recipe or anything" (which made me laugh cuz it's basically doctored up Bush's baked beans - I think their commercial is that Bush's is a secret family recipe? Maybe? Now I'm questioning that...whatever...I still laughed at him).

not the "prettiest" picture, but here they
are in the crock pot using a liner which
helps so much with cleanup!






Ingredients:

55 oz Bush's "original" baked beans
1/2 lb bacon, diced and browned
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced green pepper
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar

Directions:

sauté bacon until browned, remove from grease.
sauté onion and green pepper in bacon grease until tender.
put beans, bacon, onions, green pepper and bacon grease and all other remaining ingredients into a casserole dish, stir to combine.
bake 350' for 45 min- 1 hour until bubbly and browned on top.

Al's Notes:
"all ingredients above with the exception of the beans are estimates. I don't measure any more. All can be adjusted to taste. If you want to reduce calories you can reduce the amount of bacon grease you add to the beans - I wouldn't eliminate it all though, it does add a lot of flavor."

My Notes:
I made these in a crock pot (started on high heat for a couple hours, then reduce to low heat until ready to serve. I ended up cooking for approx 6 hours and they were delicious!) so we didn't have to heat up the oven and help keep the kitchen cool - side note, I use a crock pot liner when I can and in this case it was such a help not having to scrub the baked on beans! Whoever came up with crock pot liners is a genius. Just sayin...

No comments:

Post a Comment