Thursday, January 11, 2018

Chair Cover

Dave and I went to a store looking for new barstools and came home with a little video game table instead :). It's in the dining room which I know sounds weird but the condo isn't very big and the dining room is the best place for it - and we can use it as a cocktail table and extra seating when we have lots of company (that makes it sound less crazy than 'a grown woman just put a video game table in her dining room' - right?). It needs a couple small chairs for when we want to play (hello Frogger competition every night since we got it!), but until I find something better I pulled out these IKEA white chairs from the way back of the closet that we rarely use...mostly because they are very white melamine cheap chairs and don't really go with anything...until I remembered that I just bought a whole fresh roll of wood-grain looking contact paper. You remember my motto "if it sits still long enough it's going to get decorated"? Too white chairs + contact paper = better looking chairs. Yes it's a temporary fix but for now they look good!

I started the hard way and tried to make a template of the back rests by laying the chairs down and trying to trace around - unsuccessful - then it occurred to me that just about everything from IKEA is put-together-yourself and I could just easily remove the backs. Much easier that way! Trace around the back on plain paper, lay it down on the contact paper and cut it out. Hardest part was sticking it in place but with a few tries I got it. Screw the backs back on and voila - much better.

I only did the backs, not sure how the paper would hold up if I put it on the seats - and for now doing the back only is enough to tone down the whiteness.





No comments:

Post a Comment