Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Baked Eggs in Avocado

I'm a member of a closed group on Facebook that's all about healthy eating, and get lots of good ideas from the other members. I loved this idea that someone recently posted and thought I'd give it a try - 'cuz what's not to like about eggs baked in an avocado for breakfast?! This is very easy - crack an egg into half an avocado and bake it at 350' until the egg is set, it took me about 20 minutes. It turned out ok, but just like when I make my baked egg cups (click here for that post) the top was a little dry which I didn't love, next time I'll add a little shredded cheese to fix that.

I googled other recipes to make sure I was doing it right, I never did figure out if you bake the avocado with the shell on or not...so I left it on. I should have thought it thru a little bit more - how are you going to eat the egg and avocado out of a shell thats been baked for 20 minutes and is piping hot? You can't! So I scooped the whole thing out of the shell, which made it not very pretty. Tasted good but it's a mess to eat. So my advice, right or wrong, is to bake it out of the shell.
I made a little nest out of aluminum foil to hold the avocado while baking. 
I'm a "dipper" so added some salsa...yum.






one year ago: tuna-egg salad...what?
two years ago: best meatballs ever. For real!

1 comment: