Sunday, January 7, 2018

Breakfast Egg Muffins

I've been trying to find breakfast ideas that are lower in carbs (hello January!) - I love basted eggs but need toast (or sweet potato toast, click here for that recipe) - just eating an egg or two by itself isn't gonna cut it. So I've been experimenting with different options and really like these muffins.  I've seen breakfast egg muffins lots of places but when I searched for a recipe they all seemed to vary so much I got tired of looking and decided to just wing it....they are basically baked scrambled eggs and you can add whatever fillings you want - time to clean out the produce/cheese/meat drawers!


I only made 8 in case they didn't work for some reason, or if I didn't like them - I'll make more next time. This isn't the fastest breakfast item to make since you have to bake them for like 15 minutes, but they can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge - mine kept just fine for the 3 days it took me to eat them and probably would be fine a couple more days after that, and I'm betting they can also be frozen. You can eat these hot or cold - it'd be a good thing to take with you in the car if you're in a hurry!

Depending on what fillings you add these would be great with salsa, ketchup, sour cream, whatever dippy thing you like (unless you're in the car of course haha)! Oh, and one more thing - two of these are only about 150 calories - woohoo! I'm not great at math so if I figured the calorie count wrong I'm sorry ;) but 6 eggs (420), less than 1/2 cup pre-cooked turkey sausage crumbles (70), sprinkle of low fat shredded cheese (80), and a big splash of egg whites (50) comes out to under 80 calories per muffin. 


To make 8 of these: crack 6 eggs into a 4-cup glass measuring bowl and add a couple splashes of egg white substitute and a splash of water - beat together with a fork. Thoroughly coat a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray, add whatever fillings you want (chopped into little pieces - I did spinach and pre-cooked turkey sausage crumbles) then pour the eggs over the fillings - I left a little space at the top in case they puffed up. Sprinkle with a little shredded cheese and bake at 350' until the eggs are cooked thru, it took me about 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and carefully remove from the pan.


When there isn't enough batter to fill up the whole pan I've always put a little water in the empty ones - I'm not really sure why, I think it's supposed to help the muffins bake more evenly? I just googled it and it seems like it's not necessary...but since I've always done it I'll probably keep doing it!

I chopped too much spinach so decided to try a microwave egg scramble while waiting for the muffins (I was hungry!!). In a microwave safe bowl combine 1 egg, chopped spinach, I added a few sausage crumbles and microwaved for 1 minute. Stir and micro another 30 seconds. Topped with some cherry tomatoes and a tiny bit of avocado. Yum - this is also a winner breakfast (and faster than the muffins...although not nearly as portable!).


two years ago: fruitcake squares - and they are delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment