Sunday, January 28, 2018

Salsa Verde Pork Enchilada Casserole

We had lots of leftover shredded pork after Greek pork taco night, I googled ideas for leftover shredded pork and found this one. It reminds me of my favorite chicken enchilada suizas (click here for that post - they are so good!), this uses a little cream cheese instead of sour cream and they turned out delicious. I pretty much followed the recipe, I'll note the couple little changes I made in parenthesis. I served it with a shredded lettuce, tomato, and avocado salad on the side.



Ingredients:

  • 2 1/2 cups shredded pork
  • 15 corn tortillas
  • 1 16oz. jar of salsa verde (it's green salsa, find it in the Mexican aisle at the grocery store)
  • 2 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 8 oz. shredded monterey jack cheese
  • cilantro for serving  (I'd say this is optional since I forgot to add it to ours and they still tasted great!)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350'.
  2. Reserve 1 cup of salsa. Combine cream cheese and remaining salsa and mix well. (note: I put the cream cheese and remaining salsa in my little food processor to get it nice and smooth).
  3. Wrap the tortillas between damp paper towels and microwave for 1 minute (note: I did not do this step). 
  4. Spread the reserved cup of salsa in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
  5. Lay 5 tortillas over the salsa, you can rip them in half to cover more of the surface if you want.
  6. Spread 1/3 of the sauce on top of the tortillas.
  7. Place half of the shredded pork on top.
  8. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese.
  9. Repeat layering 5 tortillas, 1/3 of the sauce, the rest of the pork, and 1/3 of the cheese.
  10. Finish with a layer of 5 tortillas, remaining sauce and cheese. (note: I made this earlier in the day, covered the pan with aluminum foil and refrigerated it for a couple hours before baking it).
  11. Bake for 30 minutes, or until warmed thru and the cheese is melted. 
  12. Top with chopped cilantro if you remember ;)
serves 6-8. click here to see the original recipe source













one year ago: wedding day mimosas
two years ago: getting the guest room ready

1 comment: