Monday, January 22, 2018

Skillet Chicken and Veggie Pot Pie

So I realize this is like the 3rd food thing I've posted in a row, and I don't normally do that...but Tuesday 1/23 is NATIONAL PIE DAY!!!!! I love pie. Pie is right up there with donuts, wine, and bacon. And the fact that national pie day is tomorrow is just screaming for me to make a pie ;) I made this early just so you can enjoy it for national pie day if you want!!


I've been sticking to the whole "no sweets/added sugar" thing this month and that means making a berry or apple (or coconut, or chocolate cream, or Cathy's strawberry pineapple - I'm going to share that one with you at some point, it's so good!) would just be too hard. But I'm thinking national pie day could also be a savory pie, right? I saw this recipe on cookinglight.com and since "light" is in the title I thought I'd give it a try.

Right off the bat I'll say that their picture and mine is 100% different. I actually thought I was going to post this recipe as a "fail" just based on the pictures. But then we ate it and I have to say, it tastes really good. Really really good. Dave laughed at how mine looked until he tried it - he actually said "ok, I hate to say this, but it's really good. It just doesn't look like the picture". Get past the fact that it looks nothing like their picture (I'm fairly certain that even though the recipe calls for refrigerated pie crust they used something else! Either homemade crust or puff pastry or something...)

Ingredients:

  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 3 (6 oz.) boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
  • 3 cups unsalted chicken stock, divided
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
  • 1 cup sliced carrot
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 4 cups coarsely chopped turnip greens or kale
  • 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-in. cubes (about 3 cups)
  • 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1/2 pkg. refrigerated piecrust
  • 1 large egg white, lightly beaten

1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium-high. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes on each side. Place chicken on a cutting board; let stand 10 minutes. Shred into large pieces.
2. Combine 2 1/2 cups stock and flour in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add onion, carrot, and garlic; sauté 6 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup stock, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in turnip greens; cook 1 minute. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and flour mixture. Add turnips; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in chicken and parsley. Remove pan from heat.
3. preheat oven to 425'
4. Arrange piecrust over pan, folding edges under as needed. Cut slits in dough to allow steam to escape. Brush with egg white. Bake at 425°F for 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.

I can never remember which is a turnip and which is a rutabaga.
Thank goodness they label this stuff now at the grocery store!
Here is a turnip before (r) and after I peeled it with a vegetable peeler (l).
on the stove before adding the crust
I served it in wide shallow soup bowls thinking it was going to be too runny for a plate,
but it actually came together and thickened up while baking. It's just the crust on top
 that's not as pretty as it should be!
here is the photo that accompanied the original recipe on cooking light. I kind of knew that mine wasn't going to look like this - totally false advertising on their part. Don't let that stop you from making this healthier version of chicken pot pie though!! It tastes really good! 
recipe found here. 8 servings, 297 calories each, 11.9 fat, 28g carb

one year ago: make reserved signs for a wedding or party
two years ago: Brooke made a pencil holder


No comments:

Post a Comment