Saturday, January 12, 2019

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

I've posted my chicken enchiladas before (click here) which we love, but as I'm reading Joanna Gaines' new cookbook (thanks mom!) I see she has a similar version that sounds good so thought I'd give it a try. To be honest I can't give a good critique because I didn't follow her recipe exactly - it's so annoying when people review a recipe and then note all the changes they made to it! If you didn't make the recipe exactly you have no business giving it a poor rating hahaha!


Anyway - I combined some of her recipe with my standard recipe and came up with good dish that is waaaaay saucier than my usual one...I like extra saucy so I really liked this version, Dave doesn't like saucy so he prefers the way I've always made them. So your choice - make my delicious go-to enchilada recipe, or try this sauced up version!



I'm not going to give you her original recipe since I didn't make it exactly (she added more verde sauce and diced green chiles, uses 10 larger flour tortillas, and bakes in a 13x9 dish). This is very similar to my standard recipe with the addition of soup to the sour cream. One thing I will do from now on no matter if it's this hybrid recipe or my regular one, is to mix the sour cream and the verde sauce together before pouring overtop - way easier to spread that way (my recipe calls for pouring the verde sauce over and then spreading the sour cream over the sauce).

Ingredients:
  • 16 oz. jar mild green verde sauce
  • 10.5 oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup (I used Campbells Healthy Request)
  • 8 oz. sour cream (I used light) 
  • 3-4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
  • 8 oz. shredded mozzarella
  • 4 oz. or so shredded colby jack (it's what I had - use whatever you want!)
  • 9 corn tortillas
  • fresh chopped cilantro
shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, chopped avocado for salad on the side if you want, or put toppings in small bowls and let everyone garnish as they wish. 

Directions:

Preheat oven 350'. Spray an 11x7 baking dish with non-stick spray. 

Mix together the verde sauce, soup, and sour cream. Spread 1/2 cup in the baking dish.

Lay out the tortillas on a clean workspace, top with a sprinkle of shredded colby/jack or whatever cheese you want, some of the shredded chicken, and a bit of fresh cilantro. Tightly roll up the tortilla and place it seam side down in the baking dish. Continue rolling the tortillas and adding to the baking dish in a tight single layer.

Pour the remaining sauce over the filled tortillas. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the 8 oz. mozzarella on top, bake until the cheese is melted about 15 minutes.


Serve with side salad or bowls of garnishes. This made 3 big servings (3 tortillas each) or 4 smaller portions.

1.12.18: sweet dill pickles (the best!)
1.12.17: little ideas for things to purge
1.12.16: closet storage


Happy Moment ~ getting an out-of-the blue text from your niece saying she misses you


1 comment:

  1. Oh so good. Girl you cook good. Made these before and we love them. A family favorite when we all get together.

    ReplyDelete