Friday, January 11, 2019

How to Clean your Yeti (or other stainless steel mugs)

So Dave's Yeti that he uses daily as a coffee mug was super stained and I didn't know it - he thought putting it in the dishwasher would clean it but when I took it out of the washer the other day I noticed how bad it was! The entire thing was coffee-stained and looked gross. So I decided to see if I could remove the stains...and I did...and it was simple.

Put some white vinegar in the bottom of the mug; I used a blue sponge that has a scrubber side, put baking soda pretty heavily on the wet sponge so it makes a paste then dip in vinegar and start scrubbing. You need a little elbow grease but it didn't take long for the staining to come off. It's like a science experiment, the baking soda hitting the vinegar foams and bubbles which is pretty cool on it's own - but then I poured the vinegar out and rinsed and it was almost perfectly spotless! Just the very bottom still had a little stain, so I repeated the vinegar/baking soda/scrubbing and it all came out. Looks brand new!

Of course I didn't have high hopes for the vinegar/baking soda to work so didn't take a picture of the cup totally stained - I did take one of the remaining stain on the bottom tho so you have an idea of what the entire inside surface looked like.
Yuck, right?

Side note - I read that you are supposed to remove the black rubber ring from the top to clean it, didn't know that! Now his mug and top are just about as clean and sparkly as can be ;)



Happy Moment (see yesterday for an explanation) ~

the first sip of coffee in the morning. ahhhhhh.



2 comments:

  1. Yip that is how I do it too. The rubber thing on the lid was disgusting. Ya that gets a good deep clean as well. We Love out yeti's especially in the summer here in AZ. You can leave your Yeti in the car for a good hour or so and come out and have Ice gold water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any photographers around? If so, this mug just might suit them. This mug looks exactly like a 24-105 mm black lens with a realistic lens-cap lid with rubber-grip focus zoom rings. It even has an auto-focus switch that actually switches. Fill this mug with film for the film photographer or camera batteries and an SD card or stick drive for the digital image maker. steampunk mugs

    ReplyDelete