Thursday, January 24, 2019

DIY: Body Wash

I've got a confession. My name is Jill, and I'm a body and bath product-holic . Brooke and I (and PJ before her) love to go into Bath and Body Works and sample all the different scented lotions, etc. until we walk out of the store smelling like a fruit salad and/or tropical vacation. I love the stuff. So when I recently saw the instructions for how to make my own body wash I thought to myself "why have I never thought to do this?" because, duh, it's super easy and I can control the scent I want based on what essential oils I feel like. This is now a no-brainer and I'm a convert - not saying I won't still go in the bath stores and come out smelling like every kind of flower, tropical drink, hawaiian sunset I can find in a bottle LOL - but I will also continue making my own from now on.

for every 8 oz of body wash you need:

  • 8 oz or larger pump bottle (I have a 16oz. bottle in this pic; look for pump bottles that have a straw long enough to touch the bottom of the bottle, drives me crazy when they stop short!)
  • 1/2 cup unscented liquid Castile soap (I ordered from Amazon, but then found it in my little grocery store)
  • 4 Tablespoons vegetable glycerin (thick syrupy oil that is good for moisturizing)
  • 3 Tablespoons fractionated coconut oil (made from coconut oil but stays liquid, it's a good carrier for essential oils)
  • 10 drops of essential oil(s)
Directions:
  1. Combine the soap, glycerin, and coconut oil in the bottle (I used a funnel to keep the job clean - clean, see what I did there?). Shake to combine.

2. Add the essential oil(s) of your choice - for this batch I combined lavender, lime, and tangerine (note I didn't add very much lavender, went heavier on the lime and tangerine)

3. Shake the bottle to combine. You'll need to shake it before every use because the ingredients will separate. 







not sure why I took these last pics - proving the soap I just made is actually soap? 

original source found here 

1.24.18: change up a too-modern side table
1.24.17: avocado toast with basted eggs 
1.24.16: lamb stew


Happy Moment ~ writing this post and remembering being with my niece sampling all the different scented lotions; "mmm, smell this one", "mmm, smell my arm", and  "ewwww, this one is gross" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment