Thursday, January 31, 2019

Restringing the Scottie


It's been a while ago but by chance do you remember the scottie topiary thing I "planted" which was a total fail? Click here to see the post. Well - I have a scottie thing here that has pre-strung lights on it that burned out, and I just wrapped another strand around it which of course has also burned out. So I decided to take the whole thing apart, remove the old lights and restring it. While doing that I realized that this is the same exact scottie wire form - I have one in Michigan that was filled with moss when I received it, and one here in CA that came with lights...and I'm just now realizing they're the same! When I get back to MI I'm taking the moss out and replacing it with lights - so much cuter.


After removing the old lights I saw that the wire form was getting rusty, and the cable ties holding the front and back together were brittle and breaking - so I removed the old ties and replaced with new ones, and spray painted the entire thing with black rustoleum. We live in a condo and there isn't a great place to spray paint anything - and I'm pretty sure if I spray in the common driveway area the neighbors aren't going to be too happy...so I got a bunch of cardboard and set up a cardboard painting station by laying down a big piece and propping sides and a backsplash of cardboard up to protect the driveway and walls and painted into the makeshift boxed area. I don't think I left any evidence, and I wore gloves but still ended up with a black trigger finger - if there is over-spray paint I'm not aware of and anyone goes door-to-door looking for the spray painting culprit and sees my black finger I'm so busted 😉 If the object you are painting is small you can just set it in a box turned up on it's side and spray into the box (click here for the last project I did like that), I didn't have a big enough box for this scottie to fit in.



I put a piece of duct tape over the female plug end to keep water out of the light strand,
then put the end into one of the feet before winding the lights all over the scottie form. 
I didn't take a picture of it out on the balcony lit up at night because you cannot tell what it is, just looks like a bundle of lights.


1.31.18: Tesha's Texas Caviar
1.31.17: hair bump trick
1.31.16: pretzel hugs


Happy moment ~ being with a friend that can make me laugh so hard I'm crying

No comments:

Post a Comment