Saturday, January 26, 2019

Ron's Mom's Dinner

Janis told me she was making "Ron's Mom's Dinner" and even tho I had no idea what that meant, the name is so great that it doesn't even matter what it is haha - I asked for the recipe and it sounds delicious! It's tomato-meat sauce over rice, I've never put tomato sauce over rice, only pasta or polenta, and I'm going to try this next time.

She said she always uses okra instead of beans, but doesn't like telling people it has okra in it because so many don't like it (me included, I almost stopped listening to her when she said the family calls it "the okra dish"); but her family loves it, even the little kids, so I'd be willing to try it - but she said just use green beans! Hahaha, well that is a bit safer so that's probably what I'll do. Also, regarding the okra - because fresh okra is iffy to buy (I have no idea, I've never bought it - apparently it can look good but not be good) she uses frozen okra in this recipe. Thanks for sharing, Janis!


RON’S MOM’S RECIPE 

Serves 6

1 large onion chopped
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 lb ground beef
1 28 oz canned chopped or diced tomatoes
1 14 oz canned whole tomatoes
1 14 oz canned tomato sauce
1 14 oz package frozen green beans or frozen okra
salt
pepper

In a sauté pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and add onion.  Cook until onion begins to caramelize or brown.  Add ground beef and cook until fully done.  Add canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt and pepper to taste.  Cook for 20 minutes stirring often.  Add frozen green beans or okra.  Cook for another 20 minutes.  Serve over rice.  


RICE


2 cups rice
1 Tablespoon butter or olive oil
¼ cup vermicelli (optional), broken into little pieces
salt

Rinse rice and drain. In a saucepan, melt butter and add vermicelli.  Stirring constantly until vermicelli begins to turn toasty brown.  Add 3 ¾ water and some salt, bring to boil.  Add rice and cook for 15 minutes.  Fluff with fork.


1.26.18: Brooke makes gemstone soap


Happy moment ~ first scoop into a new jar of peanut butter (with or without using my finger)



No comments:

Post a Comment