Friday, December 14, 2018

Christmas Pinecone Wreath

I very easily turned my pinecone wreath (click here for that post) into a Christmas wreath by removing the feathers and spray painting the entire thing silver. Took me like 2 minutes and I love it. I sprinkled white glitter on the pinecones right after spraying them, but it didn't stick like that. Fortunately the silver paint is shiny enough that it looks great without  (unfortunately all the glitter that didn't stick landed in a big pile on the garage floor when I lifted the wreath, oops... Dave was super happy about that); if I really wanted it more sparkly I would brush white glue onto the pinecones and sprinkle with glitter, it'll definitely stick that way.
A tip for spray painting small objects is to do it inside a big cardboard box - I went outside on a not-windy day, put the wreath in a box that I set on it's side on the ground (sort of like creating a shadow box) then sprayed into the box, completely covering the brown pinecones. If you spray down into the box from above (instead of it being on its side), the fumes and spray come straight up in your face and that is not pleasant - turn the box on its side and spray into it that way. I didn't take a picture so use your imagination...it's a box on it's side. Tell me if you don't know what I mean and I'll post an example! Oh, and I did wear disposable gloves so it was easy to lift the wreath up a bit to cover all the pinecones.

I put this on a silver sequin placemat in the middle of my table; I had small votive candles in the center which was super pretty, but then Patty gave me an amaryllis bulb in a really pretty crock that fits exactly in the wreath - love!

the wreath before...
...and after



No comments:

Post a Comment