Friday, December 28, 2018

Christmas Card Pillow Box

Do you save or toss the Christmas cards you receive every year? I have a big stack of those that are just too pretty, cute, or funny to pitch, but haven't done anything with them in a while so my stash is getting a bit out of control... time to turn them into something else! I posted 3 years ago about making them into little notebooks, a bird ornament, or gift tags (click here for that post), this year I'm making some different things like today's fairly easy and quick little pillow boxes for small gifts or gift cards.

I say "fairly easy" because it actually took me a couple tries to figure out the best way to make them. I followed one person's direction online that didn't work so good and I knew there had to be a better way! There are lots of different directions online and eventually I found instructions that worked for me - now that I know how, they are easy and quick and in my quest I've spared you some frustrating minutes (and wasted cards!) if you want to make these little boxes.

Now let's see if I can tell you how in a simple way that makes sense, I included lots of pictures for reference ...you'll need:
  • a Christmas card that's big enough to fold in half and still fit your gift, you just use the front of the card (so cut apart and toss the back) and think about what the box will look like after folding it - half of the card will be the top of the box, half the bottom, and the two ends will be folding in so you'll lose some of the design. Note the elephant card is one I made using the entire card and that didn't work as good as just using the top. 
  • scissors, glue stick, embossing tool to score the card (something with a blunt hard point, I used a thick craft needle), a cd or something round about that size to shape the ends - note I used the top of a coffee can at first but it was much easier with the cd.

Score one end of the card about 1/4" to 1/2" from the edge, fold it in creating a narrow flap that will eventually get glued to the other end of the card to hold it together, but don't glue it yet. Find the middle point of the card with the flap folded in and score. Fold the card in half so the edges meet. 



With the card folded, lay the cd along one end and trace the shape onto the card. Repeat with the other end, then trim away the edges to make the box rounded on both ends. 



Open the card, lay the cd on one of the 4 rounded ends and using the embossing tool, score the rounded shape onto the card mirroring the rounded end. You are sort of making an oval between the edge of the card and the scored curved line. Repeat with other 3 ends. Note in the picture below the card should be right-side down, you want to make the score lines on the side of the card that will be the inside of the box. I'm not sure why I took the picture like this!


You can cut a small bit of the ends away to create a finger hole if you want, I don't have a circle punch so used a heart on one box, and freehanded a half circle on another.




Close the card, apply glue to the flap and glue the edges together forming the top and bottom of the box, essentially making a loop with both ends open. 


 Once the glue is dried, gently squeeze the sides together and fold the box ends in overlapping each other. 






12.28.17: how to steam crab legs
12.28.15: how I store Christmas lights










1 comment:

  1. Pillow boxes are a cost-effective packaging solution for any product. They can be used for a variety of purposes, including gifts and event favors. They are easy to assemble and can be customized with window cutouts or other features. They are also environmentally friendly and lightweight, which makes them a good choice for carrying and trading.

    ReplyDelete