Thursday, December 28, 2017

How to Steam Crab Legs

Crab legs are my all time favorite meal. Just crab legs...I don't even care what the sides are. I guess if we're talking last meal ever it would be crab legs and a salty baked potato - but for now it's all about the crab legs. They are very easy to make - put some water in a  big pot fitted with a vegetable steamer basket (you can use a metal colander if you don't have a steamer basket), you want the water to be under the basket or colander so the crab isn't going to be standing in water. Stand the legs up in the pot, if they are really long you can break apart but I just fold the legs down and then stand in the pot (the legs will most likely be above the rim of your pot - unless you have a super deep pot). Now you need to seal up the pot either with a tight fitting lid (if the legs are below the rim) or put aluminum foil over the top of the legs and pot, sealing the edges shut - you want the steam to stay inside the foil cover, make sure there aren't any openings. Boil for about 10 minutes until the crab is heated thru. That's it! Obviously use caution when removing the lid or foil - there will be hot steam underneath...


For a very simple but delicious "special" meal (we usually only splurge at the holidays!), we have these with melted butter and cocktail sauce, big pieces of sourdough bread, and cole slaw. I tend to keep it super simple because I just want to focus on the crab legs - too many side dishes will fill me up and I won't be able to eat as much of the crab!!









two years ago: how I store Christmas lights

No comments:

Post a Comment