Sunday, December 24, 2017

Anytime Roasted Turkey Breast and Stuffing

Dave's fave meal is turkey and stuffing. (Just turkey and stuffing - he doesn't care about the potatoes or gravy or green bean casserole which is the parts that I like!). I only make a turkey on Thanksgiving, and sometimes Christmas if he gets his way...it isn't hard to make but there's just so much turkey if you make a whole one! I've suggested a turkey breast in the past but that idea was always shot down - he was under the opinion that it would be dry, and he likes the texture of stuffing that's cooked inside the turkey. Anyway - short story made long - the point of this post is that I bought a half turkey breast (which is still huge by the way) and roasted it on top of a pan of stuffing and it was delicious! If I can find half-breasts in the future he can definitely have roast turkey more often :)

I treated the breast like I would a whole turkey - mix herbs and poultry seasoning with softened butter and spread it on the meat under the skin (make a pocket between the skin and meat by gently putting your hand or a spoon or spatula under the skin, leaving as much of the skin attached as you can). Then I rub a little olive oil all over the skin, season with a little poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.

For the stuffing I just went old school using a pre-packaged stuffing mix following their directions. I added a little more broth so it wouldn't be too dry (since he likes how moist it is when cooked inside the bird), spooned it into a buttered 13x9 pan, and placed the turkey on top. Bake at 400' until the turkey is done (165') about an hour. Check to make sure it isn't over-browning; if it is, just tent a piece of foil over the turkey to keep it from browning even more.

The downside of doing it this way is that you don't have any pan drippings to make gravy (boo). I bought some already made at the store which isn't my favorite, but hey - it's gravy. Any gravy is good gravy ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment