Monday, December 18, 2017

Stabilized Whipped Cream

I love whipped cream. But I'm occasionally afraid of making it, especially if I'm using it to fill a cake - if it collapses then the cake is a disaster (been there). I just found an amazing tip that totally works - I made 2 cakes this weekend and filled them both with stabilized whipped cream and they held up perfectly! YAY!! I can't tell you how happy this makes me! Cake filled with whipped cream layers is lighter, airier, fluffier...I still frost with buttercream but having the whipped cream inside the cake really makes a difference.

Put 4 teaspoons water in a small bowl, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of unflavored powdered gelatin on top. Let it stand for about 5 minutes until it has set up (looks like clear jello when it's ready), then microwave for 5-10 seconds for it to get runny. Meanwhile - put 1 cup of whipping cream in a big bowl along with some powdered sugar (I don't like overly-sweet whipped cream so I only use a Tablespoon or so, you can add more if you prefer) and a teaspoon of vanilla. Once the gelatin has been microwaved, start whipping the cream for a minute or so, then slowly stream in the runny gelatin, continue whipping until the cream is the consistency you want - takes a couple more minutes to get it to a firm thickness. Then frost layers (or eat by the spoonful out of the bowl, no judging) and be amazed how well this holds up! Mmmmmmm....

PS: I didn't take photos - it looks like whipped cream :)

No comments:

Post a Comment