Wednesday, May 17, 2017

DIY: Pallet Garden

Almost time to start my garden and I can't wait to plant my herb pallet garden. This post is from 5/16:

My niece saw this idea on Pinterest last year and got both of us a small pallet so we could each make one. I love this idea - it's pretty simple to do and works great for planting small things like herbs or flowers. It was a success and I just replanted it for this season - it's propped outside of our kitchen so it's handy to grab herbs when I need them.


I figured out where I wanted to put the planting areas on the pallet, one side has 4 boards across but the other has 3; I decided to plant in the top and bottom and leave the center open, with the 3 boards being the front so I can access the planting spaces.

landscape fabric

The pallet is open in the middle between the front and back boards with a board running down the center, so to make a box for planting and to keep the dirt in the box I cut a double sized piece of landscape fabric, folded it over so it's double thick, and used my staple gun to attach it to the bottom side of the top boards (I made two different "boxes" on the top on either side of the middle board) to create a planting box. Repeat for the bottom two boxes. I now have 4 small spaces to plant in. I put the staples close together so the fabric wouldn't sag and holds the dirt. There is probably a "better" way to create the planting box, maybe nail pieces of wood between the pallet boards for the box base, but I was winging it and saw this fabric in the garage and thought I'd give it a try. It works!

underside of the top planting space


looking into the top planting box

Then just plant with whatever you want and whatever fits - I bought a couple plants (basil, lemon thyme, pineapple sage ) and also planted some seeds (parsley, arugula, cilantro). Last year I planted some marigolds in one box but this time I'm trying arugula and cilantro instead. My little pallet garden is so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment