Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Karen's Peach Cobbler

I met a new friend earlier this year that lives in the south and she shared her famous peach cobbler recipe with me - since she's in the best area for peaches she should know what she's talking about! I will not pass up the opportunity to beg people for good recipes ;)

I'm going to be honest with you - I have not had good luck making this, tried twice and while both times it tasted great it just isn't right. (click here for my post on how to easily get baked on peach cobbler off the dish!). First time I think I used a baking dish that was too shallow and it went over the sides - I also added blueberries (because of course I couldn't leave the recipe alone, duh what was I thinking?) and maybe that changed it. I did use the full 2 cups of sugar and found that too sweet for my taste, so the second time I reduced the sugar amount... maybe that's why it didn't work this time either? Maybe I should just follow the recipe exactly?!

What I really like about this recipe is that I've never seen this technique for making cobbler before and it's interesting. You melt the butter in the dish, pour the batter over the butter without stirring, add the fruit topping without stirring. When it bakes the batter puffs up all around the fruit so the fruit ends up on the bottom and the top is now the cobbler crust part. Pretty cool.

Karen sent me a picture of her cobbler and it was beautiful of course - so don't let my botched attempts stop you from trying this...but maybe just follow the recipe as is!




first try...

second try...tastes good but still not right. 
PS: her nickname is "Turkey Karen" because she works for the National Wild Turkey Federation, I had no idea there even was such a thing! Judging by the number of wild turkeys we have in the neighborhood I'm thinking their conservation goals are working haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment