Friday, November 25, 2016

Zehnders Cranberry Relish

I should have posted this before Thanksgiving  but this cranberry relish is delish year round so I'm sharing it anyway. They make this at Zehnders in Frankenmuth and my mouth waters just thinking about it - a friend gave me the recipe and it's so easy to make it that you can have it any time you can find cranberries. Obviously it goes good with turkey dinner, at Zenders they serve it with their huge family style chicken dinners (oh my goodness, have you ever been? you will not leave hungry, just sayin') and I think it would be great with pork roast or ham too - it's so good I just eat it plain like a salad! I'm not sure if you can get cranberries year round - on the back of the package it says you can freeze them right in the bag they are sold in, I'm going to try that so I'll be able to make this any time of the year for sure.

1 pound whole cranberries
1 pound Northern Spy apples (note my store doesn't carry that kind so I substituted Granny Smith)
1 1/2 - 2 cups sugar
2 whole Naval oranges, peel on

Freeze the cranberries. Add half of them to a food processor and chop until about quarter inch pieces. Then repeat with other half. Do the same with washed, cored, peel on apples. Mix them together in a bowl with 1 1/2 cups sugar. Chop the oranges with peel on to about equal size pieces and add to the apple/cranberry mixture and taste - if super tart add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. I like it tart so tend to go light with the sugar, adjust it how you want.


No comments:

Post a Comment