Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Pumpkin Bread

I have been making this exact pumpkin bread recipe since I was a kid, I still use the recipe card that I wrote it out on from when I was young - judging by the handwriting I'd say I was 10ish!  Simple quick bread, makes 3 loaves which is nice if you want a big batch recipe (I kept one and gave away two; or wrap the extras tightly in a layer of plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, and seal in a gallon size freezer bag). The only thing I do differently from the recipe is to bake for about 10 minutes less, add a little more spice*, and sometimes I top with natural coarse sugar before baking.



3 cups white sugar
1 cup oil (my recipe is so old it calls for "salad oil")
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups pumpkin
2/3 cup water
3 1/2 cups flour

Mix all in a big bowl until blended. Divide into 3 greased bread pans. Sprinkle with coarse sugar if you want. Bake 350' for approx. one hour (check it at 50 minutes for doneness).

I gave some to Janis and Patty; Patty called me the next morning and said hers was gone and she loved it, and to "never change the recipe". I didn't tell her that I've been making this for 40 years and am not going to change it now hahaha!!

*I've been upping the spice amounts - 2 1/2 t. cinnamon, 2 1/2 t. nutmeg, 1/2 t. ground ginger; and white granulated sugar on top is also good, it makes the top crackly. 



No comments:

Post a Comment