Saturday, February 25, 2017

Old Fashioned (Whiskey Cocktail)

I found this photo on my phone from when we went to Chicago in the fall with friends - we sat on a gorgeous roof-top lounge and had drinks, looking at an amazing view. I forgot that I took a picture of my new favorite drink - an Old Fashioned. It's a whiskey based cocktail, not too strong or too sweet - I wish I would have taken a pic of the bar menu so I could remember what they used - I liked that it had dark luxardo cherries and an orange slice in it and also their sugar wasn't dissolved all the way so every now and then I'd get a little crunchy sugar bit - I'm guessing they used coarse natural sugar; I'm finding tons of recipes but not exactly like the one I had there. I'm including the picture so you can see, but really - you don't have to make it like theirs.. any old Old Fashioned will do!


Basic Old Fashioned Recipe:

1 teaspoon superfine sugar (or 1 sugar cube, or simple syrup)
2 to 3 dashes bitters
2 ounces bourbon or rye whiskey
orange and/or cherry (or both!) to garnish, optional

Place sugar in an Old Fashioned glass. Douse with bitters and add a few drops of water. Add whiskey and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add several large ice cubes and stir rapidly with a bar spoon to chill. Garnish if you like.




SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment