Monday, September 20, 2021

30 Minute Tomato Sauce

I've had this recipe on hand for years, I have no idea where it came from but it's super easy and adaptable, and I make it often. I don't always use canned tomatoes (it's a great way to make homemade sauce when fresh tomatoes aren't available), this time I made them with plum tomatoes from my garden and it's delicious. You can change it up by adding spices (good old Italian seasoning would obviously be perfect) or fresh herbs.



  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 2 cups canned plum tomatoes 
  • 3 T. tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
  • 1/2-1 t. sugar
  • salt and pepper
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and chopped onion. Cook until onion is wilted. Add canned plum tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add 3 tomato paste, 1/2 cup chicken broth or water, 1/2-1 teaspoon sugar to taste, salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook for another 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning as desired. 

Note: if it's too chunky you could blend it in a food processor or blender (or immersion blender) - we like it chunky, the fresh tomatoes don't cook down as much as the canned version. When using fresh I add more than 2 cups; this is a very changeable recipe and I just eyeball how many onions, tomato paste, and broth I add, Oh, and I don't peel my fresh plum tomatoes but you certainly can if you wish!

If I make extra sauce or just made this to use up an abundance of tomatoes and am not planning to eat it right away, I put it in a quart sized ziplock baggie and freeze it flat. Once frozen you can stand it up to file away in the freezer which saves lots of space. 



No comments:

Post a Comment