Thursday, November 7, 2019

My Sis is Hungry: Pumpkin Chili

Ahhhh Fall. Pumpkins, Sweaters, Chili.. my sister has somehow managed to put 2 of these things in the same dish. Guess which 2?! 


I was pretty excited to try this one, and not just because I was hungry, overworked and didn’t have time to cook this week....

First of all, I did not tell the husband that it had pumpkin in it. He thinks he doesn’t like pumpkin. I had a moment when I uncovered it and I could smell the pumpkin, I thought it might be a problem but lucky for me he didn’t try to sniff it before he ate it. This chili had what appeared to be a mix of turkey cubes and also turkey crumbles. This does not seem like something that would be good but the combo added interesting texture. I loved the flavor of this, it had just enough kick. I couldn’t taste the pumpkin at all but if that’s what was giving it the great flavor then it was good! After the husband gave his review which was a positive thumbs up, I then sprung on him the words “turkey” and “pumpkin” and he still liked it! 

All in all this was delicious. Not a traditional boring chili but not so crazy that it would turn off a traditionalist.  Great Chili! (He gives it a 7, I’m going 8). 

Ps.. my work is having a chili cook off with prizes if my sister would like to make this for me to enter- and pass off as my own.






Jill here: I based this chili on my usual recipe, made a couple changes including ground turkey and chopped turkey, added pumpkin puree, brown sugar, and cinnamon. The reason for the combination of meats is that when I went to the store I initially was only making this for Dave and I so I bought my usual one pound thick slice of turkey from the deli. After the deli lady put the turkey away I thought about making a larger pot of chili and giving to my sis...but then I felt too bad to ask the deli lady to get it back out and slice some more! LOL. I know, I know, it's what she does for a living but still, it seemed rude. So I bought a pound of ground turkey to increase the amount of meat - and it totally worked.



Pumpkin Chili ~
  • 3 cans chili beans in sauce
  • 1 large can plain diced tomatoes 
  • 2 small cans chili ready tomatoes in sauce
  • 1 pound deli turkey, chopped into chunks
  • 1 pound ground turkey, sprinkled with garlic salt and minced onion, cooked thru, break up into small pieces
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 1 can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie puree, there's a difference)
  • 1 big spoonful brown sugar
  • 1 T. chili powder
  • 2 t. coriander
  • 1/2 t. ground cumin
  • 1/2 t. red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • minced onion, garlic salt for cooking the ground turkey
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Add all to a big pot, bring to a simmer and let it hang on the stovetop for as long as you want. I usually do like an hour but just get it heated thru. Remove from heat; cool and refrigerate. When ready to serve, reheat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment