Monday, September 7, 2020

Face Mask with Filter Pocket

Here's the latest face mask pattern I've been making and I'm really happy with this iteration. There is a small hole on the backside where you can insert a filter if desired; I found adjustable ear loop elastics on Amazon which has taken the guesswork out of how to make them fit different face shape and sizes; and I can whip one out in a fraction of the time it takes to make the masks with fabric binding ties. They end up being a little lighter in weight without the binding, an important thing if you need to wear the mask for any length of time!



I adapted a pattern found at Hobby Lobby, and by adapted I mean I cut a couple corners to save even more time and I think they look, feel, and wear really nice. And I can make one in less than 30 minutes! I took a few pics to show you the steps:

Start with a 15"x8" rectangle of fabric. Fold in half with right sides together and sew 3" towards the middle from the top and bottom, leaving a 2" gap in the center. 


Press the seam open, then put the seam in the center of the rectangle and iron along the top and bottom. Sew a 6" piece of pipe cleaner or other wire across the top using a zigzag stitch. Turn each raw edge back about 1/2" and press in place. 


Gently turn right sides out, push the pipe cleaner up to the top edge and iron again making sure the raw edge sides are still turned under. This next pic shows what the back side looks like with the open space to insert a filter, the sides of the mask are still open at this point. 


Make 3 pleats on each side, pin in place (this is the same as my other masks - put a pin in at 1" from the bottom, then continue up the side pinning at 1", 1/2", 1", 1/2", 1", then fold so the bottom pin meets the next one up, pin in place making one pleat, continue matching the next 2 pins creating 3 total pleats) 



Finally, insert 1/2" of the elastic strap into the top and bottom of the open sides, pin in place. Now just sew down both sides making sure to catch the elastic (I sew a little then reverse to go over the strap a couple times). After you're done sewing give the ear loop a tug to make sure it's in there good. Trim any loose threads and you're done! 







2 comments: