Monday, September 21, 2020

Face Mask with Clear Front

My niece works with kids at school and needed a clear front mask so they can see her mouth - I had some clear vinyl on hand and thought I'd give it a go. There are lots of patterns online, I actually made 4 different ones for her to try and she ended up liking the one that is made like my pleated masks but with a rectangle cut out of the center. I didn't take good pics while I was making the one seen below, so I made another to show you the steps (Mickey, watch your mailbox for a surprise from me LOL!).

Cut two fabric rectangles 8"x7", then trace a 4"x3" rectangle in the center with sewing chalk or a pencil. Using sharp pointy scissors, make a hole in the center of one of the rectangles then cut towards each corner making an 'x' in the rectangle and creating 4 triangles. Fold each triangle back on itself and press in place - now you have a 4"x3" window, repeat with other rectangle - match the two pieces of fabrics and thei windows together and make sure the windows are the same size, adjust if needed. You can trim the points off each triangle so there'll be less bulk.

                

            

Sew a 6" length of pipe cleaner or other wire along the top edge of one piece on the wrong side. Fold in 1/2" on each edge and press in place. See picture below to see what I'm talking about if my words aren't making sense!

                

With right sides together, sew the two pieces of fabric together along the top and bottom edge, leave the sides open.

                                  

Carefully flip inside out so the right sides are now showing. Fold the window hems and the edge hems back in place if necessary and iron again. 

             

Cut a piece of vinyl 5"x4" and insert in between the two rectangble windows, pin in place but make sure you don't poke a hole in the vinyl that will be exposed (or else germs will get in easier!). Sew around the opening to hold the vinyl in place, I sewed a double line to make sure the seam is tight. 

                  

Make 3 pleats on each side (see my regular full face mask posts here to see how to make the pleats) and insert the ear loop into the top and bottom edges, pin in place. Sew along the sides matching sure to catch the earlobes, I reverse and go over them a couple times to make sure they're in there good and won't pull out.




I used two different pieces of fabric for the front and back, so this one is reversible - two masks in one!












No comments:

Post a Comment