Monday, March 5, 2018

Tesha's Crock-Pot Potato Soup

Yesterday I posted Sheryl's delicious chili (click here for that post) and today it's Tesha's yummy and easy potato soup...hmmmm, are you starting to think I'm letting my friends make things I want to post instead of making anything myself? Thank goodness I have friends that are such great cooks and are willing to share :)



3 cups water
1 cup ham, diced
5 medium-sized potatoes, diced fine (or one bag frozen cubed hash browns)
8 oz. pkg fat-free or light cream cheese, cubed
half an onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dill weed

Combine all ingredients in crock-pot. Cover, cook on high 4 hours or low for 7 hours, stirring occasionally.

When Tesha told me about this recipe and mentioned dill weed I said I don't like dill so probably wouldn't like this soup - she kept saying how good it is though so I followed the recipe exactly (actually I doubled it and froze some in ziplock bags*) and sure enough, she was right. It doesn't taste like dill and adds a little extra somethin' to the soup. Easy, low cal, and delicious - can't ask for more than that!

*I learned to freeze soup in ziplock bags from my friend Steve and it's a genius way to keep soup in the freezer. Ladle the soup into the bags, squeeze out as much air as you can, seal, and label. Then lay them flat in the freezer until frozen. Now they are thin and flat so you can store however you want - standing up, layered on top of each other - I like to look in the freezer and see a nice row of soup bags, reminds me of files in a filing cabinet or books on a shelf! Appeals to the librarian/organizer in me.


No comments:

Post a Comment