Friday, October 23, 2020

Spice Cake with Brown Sugar Caramel Glaze

True story. My niece requested some kind of spice or gingerbread cake for her birthday, instead of making it from scratch I thought I'd try a recipe I have from the Cake Doctor cookbook to boost a store-bought spice cake mix. I go to the grocery store where my only choices are yellow, chocolate, or carrot cake mixes. What the? The shelves are literally bare; I asked someone stocking shelves nearby if she had any in the store and she said no, they are having problems with supplier. Great, are we hoarding cake mix now I asked? Another shopper overheard me and goes "well I better grab a couple while there's still at least some  here" 🤦‍♀️ Good grief people.

So I winged it and doctored up a yellow cake mix and guess what? Totally worked. You do not need to buy spice cake mix in order to make a spice cake. You're welcome (when you want to make your famous yearly pumpkin spice cake you'll be thanking me hahaha). 

  • yellow cake mix
  • 3/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1/3 cup molasses
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
Mix all together and pour into a greased bundt pan. Bake according to box directions, about 25 minutes.


The cake is moist and very flavorful all on it's own - but topped with brown sugar caramel glaze? Delish!

  • 6 T. butter
  • 6 T. packed brown sugar
  • 6 T. white sugar
  • 6 T. heavy whipping cream
  • 1 t. vanilla
Bring the mixture to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Let boil for 1 minutes, stirring often. Spread over the cake, or spoon over individual pieces of the spice cake (we spooned over individual pieces and it was heaven). 


No comments:

Post a Comment