Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Swiss Meringue Buttercream

I make a lot of frosting. Like a lot, a lot of frosting - my go to is standard buttercream and I've recently learned it's actually called 'American Buttercream' or ABC frosting. For Mickey and Kyle's wedding she asked me to make a small layered naked cake for the dessert table and even tho I was super scared to mess it up I agreed. And for some reason decided to go out on a limb and attempt Swiss Meringue Buttercream even tho I've never made it (or even tasted it!) after reading about how great it is, it's stable at room temperature (even tho it's a lot of butter and will of course melt if it gets too warm out just like regular buttercream), silky and smooth, and easy to work with. I have been practicing the cake of course and every time this frosting has worked and is delicious! And I was sooooo afraid of it because you have to make meringue first and then add butter - just seems harder than my usual but it's actually totally worth making! I've tried a couple different versions and although they both are good I have the best luck following Martha Stewart's recipe - and there's lots of info on Google if you have any problems with it not turning out perfect; pretty much you can fix any problem that might occur! This is amazing frosting - very heavy on the butter but not as sweet as my traditional buttercream. 

I read lots of tips on making it, getting the temps right and all that but Martha doesn't really worry about being so careful and if I just do what her recipe says it is perfect. There's tips like wiping all the pans and utensils with vinegar beforehand, the exact temp you want the butter, etc. but it didn't turn out any better when I did all that. So I say just do what Martha does hahaha!

Click here for her recipe, and I'll print it below along with a couple pictures I took of the steps:


Ingredients:

  • 5 large egg whites
  • 1 cup plus 2 T. white granulated sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 t. vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment