Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Heart-Shaped Cork Trivet

I made an ombré heart-shaped cork trivet a couple years ago, click here for that post, but this one is different in that I glued the corks on their sides rather than end up - got the idea online somewhere but when I went back to look at it I can't find it now, so I winged it! And I love how it turned out. It's on the lazy-suzan in the middle of our dining room table, I made it for Valentine's decor but I'm thinking I might leave it up all the time...a heart isn't exclusive to Valentine's day after all, and it's large enough to use as a trivet for a big hot dish so it's practical in addition to being cute. Win-win.


This took 108 corks - which you would think might be hard to come by but seriously, you have no idea how many corks I have hoarded away and this barely put a dent into my stash. I laid them out before gluing in place, a couple rows needed a longer or shorter cork to get the right shape. Once I had them where I wanted it was just a matter of hot glueing them together - I glued the rows together first, and then glued the rows to each other. To finish I hot glued a piece of thick felt to the back to help give it structure and also protect the lazy-suzan - initially I was going to glue a piece of cardboard to the back but didn't have a piece big enough (I used my large pieces for spray painting that Scottie thing last week) but the felt worked just fine.

Whatcha think - only a Valentine's day thing, or ok to leave out all the time?

lay them out to get an idea what the shape will look like 
glue them together in rows
then glue the rows to each other
glue a piece of thick felt, or cardboard, to the back for support


2.5.18: DIY: camera wrist strap 
2.5.17: no boil crockpot mac and cheese
2.5.16: Brooke and Sydney make Valentine's poppers - dang, I just see that the video isn't available - hmmmmm I have no idea why!


Happy moment ~ a clean and spot free stainless steel sink


No comments:

Post a Comment