Monday, January 30, 2017

Heart Cork Wreath or Trivet

I should probably stop making things out of wine corks - you guys are gonna start worrying about my drinking habits haha! But...this is so cute! I've seen a bunch of ideas for heart shaped wreaths and trivets using corks and since Valentine's Day is coming I thought I'd attempt an ombre colored one and see how it goes. Initially I planned to paint the corks in different shades of red and pink but then realized when picking out the corks that they are already naturally shaded from the different wines - I have everything from deep burgundy to pale pink, cool - that saved me some time and I love how it looks.




I cut out an 8" heart shape from a beige colored piece of cardstock (the closest shade I had to match the natural corks), you could use cardboard or wood but the paper worked just fine since I didn't make a very big one. Sort out the different colors of corks and place on the heart cut out in whatever pattern you like - I started with dark on the bottom since I didn't have as many of the really dark ones and worked my way up with lighter and lighter colors until I finished with natural cork on the top of the heart. I keep losing count when trying to figure out how many I used, it's less than 70. Hot glue in place, then tie a piece of twine or ribbon around the outside to help pull the corks together. Didn't this turn out great?



2 comments: