Monday, January 23, 2017

String Art

I love making string art! This is pretty simple, hard to mess up, quick, fairly inexpensive, and a different pretty gift - what's not to love?

Here are two projects that I've done - a Scottie (I made for myself just 'cuz) and a heart for my sister who got married yesterday! On hers I stamped the date, it looked good before I added that but I wanted to make it more personalized.

Supplies:
-piece of wood: for the Scottie I bought an unfinished wood plaque from the craft store and painted it using craft paint; for the heart I bought this wood pallet board with attached hanger at the craft store.
-embroidery floss: for the Scottie I used solid black, for the heart I used 3 different colors (light gray, blush, metallic dark gray)
-small nails: scottie is gold, heart is copper
-hammer
-paper template of the shape you want to make: I found a free Scottie outline on line and adjusted the print size until I got the size I wanted, for the heart I just freehanded a 6" heart and cut it out.
-ruler if you want to measure the spacing between the nails, they don't have to be exact if you want to just eyeball it.

Directions:
-lay out the template where you want it to go on the board. make dots on the paper where you are going to put the nails. for the scottie I didn't measure as carefully, just tried to follow the shape putting the nails where they would create the best outline. for the heart I did about 1/2" spaces between the nails.  how close or far apart you put them will depend on the size and simplicity of your pattern.
-lightly tap in the nails around the outermost edges of the paper shape, try to keep them at a level depth.
-after all the nails are in gently remove the paper. if any of the paper gets stuck around the nails just carefully pick it out with a sharp object.
-tie one end of the string around a nail then just go back and forth, up and down, winding the string around different nails to create whatever pattern (or I should say non-pattern) that you want. If you don't like how it's looking just undo the string and start again! To get a nice finished outline I wound the floss around every nail in a row around the outside edge. You'll want to pull the string taut but not so tight that the nails move, and be careful about letting go before tying off because it unravels easily!
-when you are done stringing the floss between the nails tie off the end on a nail and trim the excess.
-I left a tail on the heart because I liked how it looked! For the Scottie I trimmed the end off close to the final nail.

cut out whatever shape you are making, mark dots where the nails will go

nail all around the edge of the shape to create the outline, then remove the paper

wind the string back and forth around the nails, go in all directions to create an almost cobweb look

this is with one layer in light gray. next I did a layer of blush and then finished with a layer of metallic dark gray. 


                   

1 comment: