Friday, December 6, 2019

Celery Syrup

Let me start by saying I don't love celery. I put it in tuna salad, soups, and stuffing but not much else -  it's healthy so I always think I'm going to eat it as a snack (filled with peanut butter or cream cheese - hmmmm, did I just say it's healthy?!) but then don't (because why eat stuffed celery sticks when I can just eat the peanut butter straight from the jar with a spoon?) so I end up throwing celery away quite often. This recipe for celery syrup caught my eye and it seemed like a good way to use up my leftover celery and I have to say - I actually like celery this way! Sure it's soaked in sugar water and that never hurts hahahaha...
Add a couple tablespoons to club soda for a light refreshing drink; or mix in a little gin to make it an interesting, festive, not-so-light and refreshing cocktail LOL. 


In a glass measuring bowl, stir together 2 cups chopped celery and leaves, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 cup water, and 1 tablespoon celery seeds. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Chill, covered, 8 hours or overnight. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Transfer syrup to a lidded jar or bottle and store in the fridge up to 2 weeks. 


I couldn't get it to strain completely clear of the little celery seeds but it doesn't change the texture or flavor the club soda at all so I'm not worried about it. If you want it clear I'd try an even smaller mesh strainer or maybe cheesecloth to catch more of the seed residue. 


original recipe found here at midwestliving.com






No comments:

Post a Comment