Monday, December 16, 2019

Felt Poinsettia Napkin Rings


As many of you know, I've volunteered in our local elementary school for years and years - my niece P was in the second grade when I started and she is now 23. I loved 2nd grade, and her teacher Mrs. Whitmore, so much that I just kept repeating 2nd grade over and over! I kind of borrowed (ok, ok, I stole it - whatever) this Christmas craft from Mrs. Whitmore - this is a simple project she had the kids make for parent and grandparent gifts (I can't tell you how many poinsettia outlines I drew on felt squares for the kids to cut out and assemble). They are fun, kid-friendly, simple and quick - all things you need with a roomful of 2nd graders haha, but also perfect for bigger crafters too (like me!).

I was 'savvy' enough (is that the right word? hmmm) to keep a template of these poinsettia napkin rings so I could share them with you like 15 years later - I did google them and there are lots of free templates online if you don't want to just look at mine and freehand them yourself. There is 2 different sizes of the same 4 petal shape - you need red and green felt to make 1 large green, 1 large red, 1 small red, and one red middle post piece that holds it all together. We didn't add sequins on the petal tips back in 2nd grade, but as a grown-up who doesn't know when to quit I attached some with a bit of elmers glue after assembling the napkin rings.  The photos are pretty self-explanatory I think:

trace the template onto red and green felt

cut out the shapes - one large red and green, one small red, and one middle red piece

layer the 3 petal shapes on top of each other, smallest red piece on top

cut a small slit thru the middle of all 3 pieces 


feed the 2 ends of the middle post piece thru the slit to create the napkin ring



add sequins if ya want! and of course you want - cuz...sequins! 

feed a napkin thru the circle created by the middle post piece. 

12.16.18: 🔥week 50
12.16.17: reindeer cupcakes
12.16.16: candy cane mice
12.16.15: sea salt body scrub

No comments:

Post a Comment