Monday, December 2, 2019

Poinsettia Gift Topper


Came across the instructions to make a pretty leather poinsettia gift topper on hobbylobby.com, and had to try it. Pretty much followed the directions but swapped green felt for the material they used, and changed the center. They said to dip a glue covered push pin into seed beads for a beaded center, so I did...and it was a mess and waste of my time! The beads came off after I pushed it thru the petals and leaves and was super annoying, the push pin doesn't want to easily go thru the leather so I tried making a little hole in the petals before inserting the beaded push pin - and then ended up liking the plain push pin head better than the beaded one. That led to me thinking that 3 push pins heads would look even better than 1 - here's what I ended up with and I think it's so pretty. I'm going to make more of these and attach them to the tops of gift boxes, it'll be 2 gifts in 1.








For each poinsettia you need faux leather material, green material, round head pushpins, beads and glue if you want to make a beaded center, scissors and template:

1. download the petal and leaf template here at Hobby Lobby - or free hand them!
2. cut out 5 petals from faux leather material, I found this 24"x8" on a roll in the ribbon section
3. cut out 3 leaves from green felt or other green material
4. if you want to make the beaded center, put E6000 or other glue on the head of a pushpin, roll in gold seed beads, let dry. Or just use the pushpins as is (which worked much better for me)
5. push the petals and leaves onto the pin, hot glue the back of the pins and leaves to keep in place.
6. before hot gluing, I added another 2 pushpins to the center for a total of 3.



12.2.18: 🔥 week 48
12.2.17: decorated the 'dog house'
12.2.16: kids Christmas party: gingerbread houses
12.2.15: DIY bell bottom jeans

No comments:

Post a Comment