Sunday, December 8, 2019

Around the Campfire 🔥 (week 49)

Dear Campers ~

Here's a quick recap in case you missed anything at MMDC this past week:

Posts ~

12/1: 🔥week 48
12/2: poinsettia gift topper
12/3: tip-sy Tuesday: superglue on your fingers?
12/4: cranberry sauce hand pies
12/5: my sis is hungry: pumpkin oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
12/6: celery syrup
12/7: beef and beer stew

What's Cooking (on the road!)
  • I'm continuing to learn how to prep and cook for RV road trips; the day before we left Dave pre-grilled thin chicken breasts, I made 2 sides ahead of time - Israeli couscous with zucchini and tomatoes, and my favorite orzo salad - boiled pasta, tossed with a little olive oil to keep it from sticking, made meatloaf, and egg salad. All went into gallon ziplock baggies and we mixed and matched throughout the week. 
  • It's the first time I've made this Israeli couscous (big pearl couscous) dish and it's really good - it can be served warm, at room temp, or cold which is perfect for road tripping. To make it: heat 2 T. olive oil in a saucepan, add 1 cup couscous and toss around 3-5 minutes until it's a little browned. Slowly add 1 1/2 cups water; cover, lower heat, and simmer until the water is absorbed about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup pesto, 1/2 cup chopped zucchini, 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes. click here for original recipe source.
Miscellaneous stuff ~
  • I'm driving my car behind Dave in the RV this trip, and it's the first time I've borrowed audio books from my library app - I'd still rather read the book but what a great way to fill the long days. I mean, Sarge is with me and it's nice to have the company, but he pretty much just sleeps the whole time so...hahahha. I listened to "Thirteen Reasons Why" because I know the show has been very popular but I didn't love it. Teenager leaves tapes blaming a bunch of other people for adding to the reasons she commits suicide. Terrible topic, obviously, but I had a hard time with her reasoning. ⭐️⭐️. "Cleaning the Gold", a collaboration of Karin Slaughter and Lee Child starring their popular characters Will Trent and (one of my favorites) Jack Reacher. It was good and very 'listenable' but ended so abruptly I backed it up to make sure I didn't miss anything! I'm assuming because of the way it ended that there will be at least one more follow up and will be a series. ⭐️⭐️⭐️. "Wicked Appetite" by Janet Evanovich, a cute story that is super far fetched but great for a day of listening. ⭐️⭐️⭐️. 

Sarge’s new favorite campground is in Missouri, never seen so many squirrels! He sat in the chair watching them like it was tv - we called it the “squirrel show” 😂

Hope you had a great week, everyone have their Christmas stuff up? I won't be able to do it until next week since we are traveling - I'm already wondering if I want to do all the work for just a couple weeks? I'm sure I'll break down and want at least the tree! Stop by often next week to see what's going on at camp - I planned ahead and made a few things to post while we are traveling.

Sincerely ~


Jill
your grateful and thankful camp counselor 



No comments:

Post a Comment