Sunday, June 18, 2017

Meatloaf


 I love meatloaf, D doesn't...until I started making it this way that is. It's a very basic, simple recipe but it's a winner (and he doesn't like lots of onions, peppers, etc. so I don't add anything like that). I've mentioned this recipe before but it never got it's own post - and I think it's time to correct that.


  • 1 pound each lean ground beef, ground pork, and ground lamb
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 ½ cups bread crumbs, (crumbled bread, oatmeal, or smashed saltines also work)
  • 1 jar chili sauce (homemade or store bought)
  • splash of milk
  • salt and pepper
  • ketchup
Mix the eggs, bread crumbs, ½ jar chili sauce, salt and pepper to taste together in a large bowl then add some milk until the mixture is moistened. Add the ground meats and mix together (don't overwork the meat or it'll get tough). Divide into 2 equal halves, place each half in a 9” cake pan and shape into a circle leaving about a 1” space between the meat and side of pan for grease to collect in (you can use loaf pans, but I always make it in a round cake pan - I like that the grease has someplace to go). Mix the remaining ½ jar chili sauce with some ketchup and spoon over each meatloaf (like you're frosting the top of a cake). Cover with aluminum foil and bake 350’ for 45 mins to one hour until done - remove the cover during the last few minutes. 

I usually make this in 2 round cake pans but I will often make one half in a cake pan that we eat that night, and one half divided evenly and baked in muffin tins and then freeze them - super handy to have individual portions on hand.

I know this is very basic and there are tons of versions! But it's tried and true, and everyone seems to like it so...it works for us!



4 comments:

  1. I love meatloaf!! This looks good. My husband hatted it as well until I made my grandmothers. Now he eats it. I too use three different meats as well. You are a good cook!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Egg, breadcrumbs, onion soup mix, a very small amount of reg. onion, Worcestershire, alittle bit of ketchup, regular yellow mustard, Hamburger, pork, lamb, parsley, parmesan cheese, alittle mile and water. I know that sounds weird, but my grandmother put water in hers and it was moist moist moist! Always a hit. My husband would never eat Meatloaf till I made it this way for him and he likes it now. What is with men and meatloaf. Anyway, I also follow Ina Garden recipe alittle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good! I've never added water, will try that next time. And Parmesan - yum!

      Delete