Thursday, June 1, 2017

Lighten Up for Summer

I missed my whole "spring cleaning" phase I usually go thru since we were gone - looking around the house now tho I realize that things need to be "lightened" up just in time for summer living. There are (fake) sunflowers on the table that have been there since fall, the chenille bedspread and furry duvet cover are too heavy now, the indoor plants are super overgrown and out of control, the coffee table hasn't been changed in forever...you know what I'm talking about? It just hit me that things needed to be freshened up and changed around. So I did what I LOVE to do and haven't done since the last time I wrote about it (click here for that post) - went "shopping" in my own house and rearranged things. Ahhhhh....so much better!

Tip for today - look around, how does your house feel? Is it time to move things around? That doesn't mean buying more stuff, maybe just moving things from one room to another or putting a few things away for the summer will help your house feel "lightened up"!

Here's a few examples of small changes I made to be more ready for summer (more things I did but didn't take pictures include trimming and fluffing the indoor plants - I even threw one away and moved one sad one outside for a summer vacay of it's own!, moved 2 heavy rolling armchairs away from the dining room table into another room, changed side tables around, put away a few small throw rugs, removed a suede throw from the couch...):


removed the winter bedspread on the left, using summer blanket as a bed cover on the right









changed out the white furry duvet cover for a light cotton one (note my cute stuffed animal - it's "Howie Cowie" and he makes me happy :))

change fall flowers...
to beachy runner and live plant
changed out the coffee table stuff to lighter and less!
PS: I had an epiphany of sorts while moving things around - I always think I want to get on the "less is more" bandwagon and get rid of things (remember my whole tidying up and "does it bring me joy" moment?) but it occurred to me that I don't actually have to own less stuff - I just don't want to see all of it all of the time and want it organized. Although having drawers and closets not being overly jam-packed is a great feeling that I stick by. But I don't have to get rid of stuff just for the sake of getting rid of it - just put some things away for now!






2 comments:

  1. I just did the same in my living and dinning room. We had to have some drywall repair done due to the leak we had from rain. Well, lets just say I was vacuuming walls and washing everything. Had the furniture professionally cleaned. REMOVED some silk trees. Yea! and rearranged things. So much better, lighter, etc. I was happy! Yes I get it!! I just need to purge my china hutch and sideboard of STUFF!!! Girl how did I get so many platters? I thought my sister was going to loose her mind this past weekend when she saw what I had! Lol! I have at least 20 platters. My question to me is why? Thank goodness for nieces and nephews who like my things and are greatful to have some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain! I also have too many platters, too many sets of dishes, too many candles and vases, how does it all accumulate? It does feel good to get rid of some things, but I also feel like if I have enough space to store it AND I use the things then I don't have to get rid of hahaha!! The problem is when I don't have any more free space lol!

      Delete