Friday, June 30, 2017

Flag Luminary

Another easy quick craft for the Fourth - aren't they cute? All you need is a big jar, a small flag, mod podge, rope for around the top, and glitter (glitter is optional I suppose, but it's glitter - why wouldn't you add it if you have it?!).


As you know, I'm an instant gratification kinda crafter and will find things in my house that will "do" when I see or think of a project that I want to make - I saw the idea for these luminaries online but changed it a bit to use the things I already have and put it together a little differently. So I'm using a large clean pickle jar (I have them left over from making the very very best yummiest pickles - click here for that post) with the label removed, a 6x4" cheap little flag that is wrapped around a dowel, matte finish mod podge, and white glitter.

Slide the flag off the dowel and cut off the part that was folded - you want the flag to lay flat. I liked the edges all jaggedy so I cut a thin bit off the other end and unraveled it a little to match. Brush a thin layer of mod podge onto the jar where the flag will go, apply the flag, then brush another thin layer of mod podge over the entire flag. Make sure there is mod podge under the entire flag since it's acting as glue to keep the flag in place. Smooth out all of the bubbles (I use my fingers, then wash my hands before the glue dries), and let it dry 15-20 minutes. Apply a second coat of mod podge and sprinkle with glitter. Let dry. The mod podge dries clear but you can still see it on the glass so I took a wet paper towel and something with a sharpish edge (uh, that'd be my fingernail) and cleaned up around the flag so the mod podge was a little neater looking.

To finish wrap rope around the top using a little dab of hot glue to hold it in place. Once everything is dry I put some sand in cuz I like how it looks, and a votive candle (use a tealight if you made this with a smaller jar).

Note: initially I was going to make this with a Mason jar but realize the flag isn't going to stick as good or be smooth because of the raised imprint on the Mason jars.

I re-use paper or styrofoam plates when I have small painting (or in this case mod podging) projects

the white piece in the middle is what was holding the flag to the dowel that I cut off.

mod podge goes under and on top of the flag

after applying a second coat of mod podge sprinkle with glitter

the glitter looks really pretty with the candle lit - it's all sparkly and having this outside at night is going to be so nice!


Having trouble linking the source for this idea - I found it at A Little Craft In Your Day.

3 comments:

  1. Adorable, adorable! Easy, quick idea. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The glitter really sparkles which I love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for leaving me your comments! I'm glad you are enjoying the blog!

    ReplyDelete