Monday, June 5, 2017

College Survival Kit

For Kenedy's open house I wanted to give her a gift instead of just handing her money, but obviously it needed to be something as useful and necessary as money haha...I have made these before for my nieces going off to college so decided to make one for Kenedy too. It's a very easy gift to put together and the kids seem to really like it - I found this double-sided case at Hobby Lobby but usually I use one of the clear plastic holders like the kind that were originally meant for organizing embroidery thread and has customizable dividers. Then hit up the dollar store, grocery store, drug store, or even look around your house for (unused!) things that a college kid might need (and not even know they are going to need!).

Here's what I included - make it personal and tailor the kit for your recipient:

  • gift cards for ('emergency') fast food - pizza, subs, Taco Bell, Starbucks
  • cotton balls and q-tips
  • small sewing kit with pre-threaded needles in basic colors, couple buttons, safety pins
  • tiny stapler, paper clips, rubber bands, sticky notes, tape, krazy glue, a sharpie pen
  • phone cord
  • tylenol, airborne, throat lozenges, rolaids, neosporin, bandaids, chapstick
  • lysol, tide stick
  • hair ties, nail clippers, tweezers, nail file
  • tiny toothpaste, mouthwash, floss sticks
  • batteries, matches and a tea light
  • gum, package of fruit snacks, package of almonds
There might be more things in there but now I can't remember ;). Just wing it - it's fun to put together!

I found the "college survival kit" printable here and taped one on each side. Just 'cuz it's cute.



I wrapped it in tissue paper and made one of my favorite tissue flower bows for the top (click here to see how to make them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment