Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Tidying Up

I can actually see all my scarves now!
Well thanks to a book I just read on decluttering and organizing (written by a Japanese woman who is very popular right now and making the rounds) I am now inspired to surround myself with things I love and that "spark joy" in me. Sounds like a daunting task, right? But how great would it be to just have things that make you happy and you love? Of course I have to be a little practical - if I get rid of all the clothes that aren't joy inspiring I'm gonna need to do a whole lot of shopping cuz I'll have nothing to wear! Dave is really not going to like this hahaha. Anyway, I'm sharing this with you because rather than crafting something all I've been doing is tidying up my stuff :)

I was going to give you a sort of breakdown on how she recommends going about this whole decluttering and organizing thing, but that would be rewriting her book and take too long haha - if this kind of thing interests you maybe pick up the book for yourself (I'm a regular at the library) or borrow from a friend (thanks Sheryl for loaning me your copy!). I've talked to lots of people that just couldn't get into the idea, or don't care about doing it - I love this stuff though so I enjoyed reading it. I'm not going to do everything she says (for instance, when you discard an item you should thank it for it's service, for a job well done, or in the case of getting rid of something that's unflattering on you then thank it for teaching you what doesn't look good on you - uh yeah, if I start talking to my stuff D is seriously going to question my sanity! HA!) but the basic idea of only owning what makes you happy is appealing to me.

So far I've purged a bunch of vases and candles, scarves and t-shirts  - I'm enjoying having more space in those cupboards and drawers now and am looking forward to freeing up even more when I have time, after I've crafted some more of course!






3 comments:

  1. very interesting what is the title of the book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting what is the title of the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. My friend just wrote me she was inspired by my post and just cleaned out 3/4ths of her scarf drawer! Yay :)

      Delete