Thursday, April 21, 2016

Parrot Portrait

Our creative photo class is over and I'm so bummed - it was a great reason to take photos and have specific projects to figure out;  I'd like to keep it up on my own by setting up my own goals and projects. The instructor talked about giving ourselves assignments every week to continue being creative and seeing things in a different light - her examples were one week shoot only red things, then next week all yellow things, etc. whatever we can think of to stay in the creative mindset. For this weeks self assigned project I worked on taking portraits of our parrot Lucy and got some fun shots. Getting really close to her made for some interesting photos, her feathers up close almost look like a palm tree or something - and I love her foot stretching out to try and grab me! I take pictures of Sarge all the time, it's very hard to capture his face though since he's all black with dark brown eyes - Lucy was much easier and she was a pretty good sport about having me in her face!
She was on the edge of our kitchen island so I got down on the floor and aimed up at her. I think it's a unique perspective and if I wasn't photographing her on purpose with the intent to capture her in different ways I would not have thought to shoot her this way.
This one makes me laugh - even though her body is blurry the claw is clear and coming straight out like she's going to grab me is funny (funny as long as she doesn't actually grab and hold on, that beak is really strong!)
This is an up-close photo of the back of her - changing it to black and white really makes the feathers look cool and different.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sweet Lucy! I remember when I was house sitting back in the day. My boyfriend, (Husband now) came over to UBC house, and he walked by the green bathroom in the hallway, and she lit into his arm and would not let go!!! Holy Moly!!! I have some very very funny memories with her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, and she's still full of it. Chases people out of "her" areas (the bathroom and closet mostly), she doesn't fly but runs at them on the floor haha! Dave is scared of her!

    ReplyDelete