Sunday, April 3, 2016

Chicken Soup

My friend Janis is sick,  and even though she turned down my offer for chicken soup I'm making it for her anyway :). I shouldn't have asked, of course she'd tell me to not bother! I'll drop it off on her doorstep - ding dong ditch - then text her it's out there.


I think the part of chicken soup that actually helps make sickies feel better is the broth (not the noodles), so instead of making traditional chicken noodle soup I found a recipe that includes lots of vegetables and finishes with adding condensed cream of chicken soup - sounded interesting to me and it's got broth so it should still count as comforting chicken soup!

I based my version on the recipe I found here, with a few changes...I had some frozen fajita marinated chicken strips in the freezer, thought the little bit of spice would be a good addition, and then added some chopped rotisserie chicken to get enough chicken in the soup. I also added about 1/2 cup chopped celery (including the leaves), used 4 cups of chicken broth instead of water/bouillon cubes, and added a spoonful of "better than bouillon" that I always have on hand.



The recipe says to add the raw veggies to the broth, I sautéed them first in a couple tablespoons of oil and a tablespoon of butter until they softened. Then add the broth, bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are almost done before adding the peas and corn. Let that simmer for a few minutes and then add the chicken and one can of cream of chicken soup and heat until it's thick and bubbly. I omitted the cheese altogether and figured the fajita spices on the chicken were enough so also skipped adding tabasco.


Sorry Janis isn't feeling well, but I'm enjoying the benefit of having the house smell like chicken soup and of course since I have to taste the soup to make sure it's good I also get lunch out of the deal - you don't have to be under the weather to enjoy this delicious easy soup! 

*2024 UPDATE: I clicked on the link for the recipe but it is no longer on Campbell's website! Based on my notes this is what I would do to make it - it appears to just be traditional chicken soup with the addition of a can of cream of chicken soup to thicken it. I also have a recipe for 'creamy chicken soup' that doesn't use condensed soup to make it creamy if you'd prefer that version.

  • 1-2 T. olive oil
  • 1 T. butter
  • 1 1/2 cup diced potatoes
  • 1 1/2 cup diced carrots
  • 1/2 cup diced celery
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn 
  • 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 T. 'better than bouillon' chicken
  • 2-3 cups cooked, chopped chicken 
  • 1/2 t. garlic powder
  • your choice of herbs or herb blend if desired
  • salt and pepper to taste 
  • 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • tabasco for serving, if desired

Heat the olive oil and butter in a stockpot/saucepan/dutch oven, add all of the vegetables and sauté for a couple minutes until the onion is softened. Add the broth and bring to a simmer, cook until the potatoes are almost done; add peas and corn, continue cooking until they are heated through. Add the chicken and cream of chicken soup, turn down the temperature and heat until thick and bubbly.





No comments:

Post a Comment