Sunday, April 24, 2016

Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef

I got this recipe from my friend Natalie and made it for Sunday Supper - it's a winner! The only thing I did differently from the recipe is to add 1 Tablespoon of ground ginger and about 1/4 teaspoon of red chili flakes, and I added 2 big handfuls of carrots that I bought in a bag already shredded. I had toasted sesame seeds I planned to sprinkle on top before serving but yeah, I forgot them - it was great without and didn't need them. Adding just a little chili flakes gave it a very minor kick, if you like spicier feel free to add more.

Of course I forgot to take a picture, that seems to happen quite often...it's because I 
get busy with putting the meal on the table and don't take time to photograph before 
we eat it! I remembered to take a pic when I ate the leftovers for lunch the 
next day, mixing in some left over salad toppings (peppers and mushrooms)
 - it was delish this way too :)

I served it with steamed white rice, roasted broccoli, and an Asian salad made up of spring lettuce with chopped fresh pea pods, mushrooms, thinly sliced red pepper, and mandarin oranges topped with this dressing that is so good:

ASIAN SALAD DRESSING:

1/2 cup olive oil
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Put all the ingredients in a jar with a tight lid and
shake until well blended.

SLOW COOKER MONGOLIAN BEEF

1 1/2 pounds flank steak
1/4 cups cornstarch
2 T. olive oil
1/2 t. garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup carrots, grated
green onions, for garnish

1. Cut flank steak into thin strips. In a ziplock bag, add flank steak pieces and cornstarch. Shake to coat. 

2. Add olive oil, minced garlic, soy sauce, water, brown sugar and carrots to slow cooker. Stir ingredients. Add coated flank steak and stir again until coated in the sauce. 

3. Cook for HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-5 hours until cooked thru and tender. Garnish with green onions. 


      click here for the Mongolian Beef recipe post and more info. 


      2 comments:

      1. I am going to try this. Looks really good!

        ReplyDelete
      2. Really good, and easy too! I used a crock pot liner bag so clean up was nothing. Try it and tell me if you like it!

        ReplyDelete